Pages

2012年4月22日 星期日

Dinner at Union League Cafe -- 2012 NH Spring RW

Address: 1032 Chapel St # A  New Haven, CT 06510
Website: http://unionleaguecafe.com

Here come my last stop for 2012 NH spring RW. I was here with Angela, Yen and Ted. This is probably the only French Restaurant here at New Haven (while we have about 1000 Italian restaurants), and it happened to be a very good one. Of course, the price is also very French like my beloved LV...so that's why RW is a good chance to come back again.


Since Miss Yen and Mr. Ted made Angela and I waited for 45 mins, we had time to really think about what we want for dinner. (Well...it actually didn't take too long.) Since they did not post their RW menu anywhere, I took a picture of it:

As usual, the restaurant was dark, and I was a bit shy to take pictures of their menu. So here are the 3 ugly pics with my shadow in it. (oops!)

As time passed by, I became really cranky since I got really hungry. Our friendly waiter, who has a buttery French accent, came and served this savory puff snack. He said that it has ricotta cheese filling with parmesan on top. But the ricotta was no where to be found and the whole think was just savory and nothing too special. However, I could eat anything at this point.
Angela and I almost finished all of them, but we were nice enough to leave two for Yen and Ted. After waiting and waiting (沒辦法停止碎碎念...最近一直等人已經快氣瘋了!世界好像壞掉了大家一直遲到然後都理直氣壯的解釋一下就作罷!奇怪,不是要先道歉嗎?! --> 好啦!這裡不是針對yen and ted, 只是抒發一下.幸好當天有Angela輔導我!不過吃了食物之後就好多了...還講到New Haven的月亮非常大之類的奇怪話題!我們不是科學家嗎!?!?), we called them and they agreed for us to order for them. So, we wasted no time to catch our waiter's attention and ordered.

AND!!! That's was definitely the right thing to do, he brought us the bread basket soon after he put in the order!!! Angela and I both grabbed the multigrain toast pieces and that's all we were given for this kind! And we  were like "as a punishment, they won't be able to eat this kind!!!" (well...they prob didn't care...)

When I touched the bread, I was a bit disappointed since it was not warm (why!!!哭鬧!!) And the butter was also cold and hard (even the plate that they put the butter on was cold....). What was their intention? Do French people love and bread and unspreadable butter? I will have to go to France to find out! (Another reason to go there!)
Once Angela and I worked real hard to spread the butter on our multigrain bread, Ted and Yen finally showed up after we took our first bite. YEAH!! YEAH!!! The dinner can finally start!!!

Somehow we all end up ordered the same 1st and 2nd course, which made my blog life much easier. This is the "Freshwater pike souffle and crayfish bisque". (please see the menu above for the French name of this dish)
I like it!!! I like it!!! I like it!!!
Just like all other seafood-y bisque, it's way too salty on it's own, but with the baguette dipped in it, I can finished the whole thing.
Take a look at the inside of the souffle! It's eggy with some seafood in it (shrimp?) I love almost all types of souffles and of course includes this one!

 For the 2nd course, we all ordered the duck leg confit + duck sausage:
Perhaps I was too excited and could not stop my hands from shaking....this picture turned out to be a but blurry. But it was very yummy! Again, a bit on the saltier side (happened to a lot of French restaurants I've been to.) but I still finished it. I'll just have to drink more water and apologize to my kidney later.

I want to applause to the duck sausage!!! It's got some duck liver in it! So earthy and very very good! On the contrast, there's nothing too special to say about the beans that served as the side. To tell the truth, I think they served too much beans. I didn't finished mine since I got bored of eating it.

Here's the 3rd course! (The dessert round!)

Ted ordered this creme brulee ice cream with strawberry. I tried the ice cream and it was fine. Nothing to stunning. (I also never order ice cream or sorbet at restaurants...)

And I like mine much better! Layered chocolate & vanilla mousse with caramelized short bread. Although I'm not a big fan of mousse, but this is not a mousse cake type of texture, more like a custard with chocolate and vanilla flavor. We three girls found that there's no way to cut through the short bread on top, so I decided to pick it up with my hand and eat it like a cookie. And that worked just fine. The short bread was a bit too sweet for Yen on its own, but it was okay for me. I particularly liked the burned sugar taste it has.
Again, I cleaned the plate!!! And my tummy was happy!!!
Highly recommend this place but prepare your wallet before you come!


View Larger Map

沒有留言:

張貼留言

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Message