Pages

2011年10月23日 星期日

Katalina's Bakery -- Vote for the Yale Bulldog Cupcake!

Address: 43 Whitney Ave. New Haven, CT 06511
Website: Still working on it!!

AWESOME!!!! A new sweet shop just opened and it is SUPER close to my apartment! I just discovered it yesterday (apparently they just opened on Friday) and immediately bought 2 cupcakes. They are: Vanilla Cupcake with Chocolate Frosting and almond topping (see picture above) and Red Velvet Cupcake with Cream cheese Frosting (see can kind of see the cupcake at the top right corner of the picture.)



Yes, they are the cupcakes I posted on my facebook yesterday. Overall was really good, and I do like the red velvet a lot. (I feel like a good cupcake place really need to have a good red velvet cupcake recipe.) Both frosting are light and delicious, not too sweet, which is a plus. The vanilla cupcake was a little bit drier (compare to the red velvet cake, which was moist and REALLY  GOOD.), but both cake aren't that sweet either. Since the cupcake weren't over powered by sugar, the flavor came through much better.

I recommend this place to everyone especially if you live in New Haven!

Also, the place featured a special event for Yale student, please see the link:
http://www.yaledailynews.com/news/2011/oct/22/katalinas-opens-business/?cross-campus
So, I went (of course!!!)
There were actually just 4 kinds of cupcakes.

#1:
Never a big fan of lavender, but the cake was very dry and I couldn't find the filling.

#2
This was very good! Nutella (oh yeah~~~), dark chocolate cupcake (very moist) and Cayenne & Raspberry filling (a SUPER surprise) were perfect together!!! Not too rich and the raspberry filling was brilliant.

#3
I think buttercream frosting is just simply too boring for me. (perhaps they can use maple syrup cuttercream or something more exciting that just buttercream.) Also, the cupcake itself was a bit doughy.

#4
The frosting for this one was very good!!! You can really taste the strawberry. The cake was not bad, but nothing too special either. It was not vanilla enough for me so it made the cake a bit boring since there's really not much flavor to it.

So I voted for #2 (according to my numbering). It was fun and free of charge! Also, those recipies are not Katalina's (they were submitted by 4 Yale students.) and only the winner of the 4 cupcakes will win a spot on their menu!


View Larger Map

沒有留言:

張貼留言

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Message